We are a small team of mental health professionals who work with women, their infant’s and their family/support person to help stay as well as possible during pregnancy and after birth. The clinical team has a range of clinical experience and expertise to support you with your mental health needs during pregnancy and up to six months postnatally.
- We work together with you, your family/support person and other healthcare professionals and services involved in your care.
- We have expertise in working with women with complex, serious mental health difficulties who are pregnant and after birth.
- We also offer preconception advice on request.
- We offer an assessment and intervention service for any woman attending the hospital who is suffering from, has suffered from, or is at a significant risk of developing mental health problems during her pregnancy or in the postnatal period e.g. bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, depression or major anxiety, eating disorders, etc.
- This can include women who are suffering emotional and psychological difficulties following a normal birth or following miscarriage, stillbirth or other unsuccessful pregnancy outcomes.
- We can advise on the benefits and risks of psychiatric medication during pregnancy and while breastfeeding
- We can support and advise on the mother baby relationship
We will agree a plan with you to try to keep you well. Individual plans may vary and will depend on the level of support you need. However sometimes we may need to refer you to an appropriate service outside of the hospital.
Prof. Anthony McCarthy: Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist
Deirdre Madden: Registered Advanced Nurse Practitioner (RANP) Perinatal Mental Health
Carolin Holmes : Perinatal Mental Health Midwife
You may be seen by another psychiatrist on behalf of Prof. McCarthy
Monday - Thursday: 08.00-16.00hrs
Friday: 08.00 -15.30hrs
Tel: (01) 637 3128 / (01) 637 3100 (switch)
Direct Fax: (01) 637 3340
Referral Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(we do not accept self-referrals)